Law Offices of Mitchell Schley, LLC

New York and New Jersey Labor and Employment Lawyer

197 Route 18 South
South Tower – Suite 3000
East Brunswick, NJ 08816
Phone: (732) 325-0318
Fax: (732) 325-0317

245 Park Avenue, 39th Floor,
New York, NY 10167
Phone: (212) 672-1848
Fax: (212) 372-8798

Contact us for a free telephone consultation at

(732) 325-0318

Contact Us

About Mitchell Schley, ESQ

Workers’ Compensation

Workers’ compensation provides benefits for employees who are injured at work. It is important for employees to know that in New Jersey or New York, workers injured on the job may receive workers’ compensation payments even if they are undocumented or illegal immigrants.

If you are injured at work, you are entitled to receive 1) medical treatment, 2) pay while you are out of work, and 3) pay for the injuries if it causes a permanent disability. If you are injured at work, it is important that you report the injury to the employer. You should also contact an attorney who can make sure you receive the benefits you are entitled to. An injured employee is entitled to benefits regardless of what caused the injury or if it was the employee’s or the employer’s fault.

The employer is permitted to select the doctor who will treat the worker’s injury. If the employer does not select a doctor, the employee can select the doctor. If there is an emergency, the employee can get treatment without approval by the employer.

An employee is entitled to pay if they are out of work due to the injury for more than seven calendar days. The benefit amount is seventy percent of the employee’s regular pay up to a certain maximum.

If the employer tries to stop an injured worker from getting benefits, a lawyer can help the worker file a workers’ compensation claim. The worker does not need to have immigration papers to file a claim for benefits.

It is against the law for an employer to fire or discriminate against an employee because the employee makes a claim for workers’ compensation benefits. It is illegal retaliation. If you are retaliated against, you should speak to a labor lawyer who can help you.

If you receive workers’ compensation benefits, the employer will pay most of the employee’s legal fee. If you do not recover any money, you do not have to pay your lawyer.

Mitchell Schley is an attorney who practices labor law at the Law Offices of Mitchell Schley, LLC, in East Brunswick and New York City. He can be reached at (732) 325-0318 or at

Office Weekly Update Weekly

Topic of the Week

No Thanks to Us: The Lack of Gratitude at Work

When it comes to expressing gratitude, the workplace is dead last. No wonder why they call it work. Ironically expressing gratitude will not only create a healthier workplace, it will also create a healthier you.


Blog of the Week

For Women Restaurant Workers, Sexual Harassment Starts with the Day You’re Hired

It would be hard to design a context more conducive to being sexually harassed by co-workers, and indeed, like 80 percent of women restaurant workers in a 2014 Restaurant Opportunities Center United (ROC United) survey, we all were.

Thought for the Week

"Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it."

–William Arthur Ward

List of the Week

from Millenial branding

Preferences in a Job: Boomers, GenX and Millenials

  • Boomers, meaningful work, 60%
  • Gen X, job security, 65%
  • Millenials, location, 59%  

Top Five News Headlines

  1. Why freelancers face an uphill battle against sexual harassers
  2. The GOP Believes Businesses -- But Not Consumers -- Are Entitled to Their Day in Court
  3. If You’re Sick, Stay Away From Work. If You Can’t, Here Is What Doctors Advise.
  4. Cuomo to announce new regulations on work schedules for hourly employees
  5. Add This to Your List of Job Demands: Paid Vacation for Extreme Weather

Law Offices of Mitchell Schley, LLC
197 Route 18 South, South Tower – Suite 3000, East Brunswick, NJ 08816 • Phone: (732) 325-0318 • Fax: (732) 325-0317
245 Park Avenue, 39th Floor, New York, NY 10167 • Phone: (212) 672-1848 • Fax: (212) 372-8798
Contact us today »